In my opinion fresh eating of the yellow flesh (not the seeds or skin) is the best way to enjoy a pawpaw. Slice it open, spoon it out, and enjoy, spitting out the smooth seeds as you go. Several favored recipes for pawpaw include ice cream and smoothies, which I find wonderful. Beware however that baking with pawpaws may make you sick. Use caution when baking, try a little bit first and see how you feel before serving the goods to others. DO NOT MAKE PAWPAW FRUIT LEATHER! I have gotten many reports of people vomiting up their pawpaw fruit leather. Just enjoy it the way Mother Nature intended!
- Discussion Re: Bleach Taste in Fruit, Causes, Remedies
- Wall Street Journal 1993: Neal Peterson’s Goal is to Domesticate the Wild Pawpaw
- Garden and Gun Magazine: The Mad Scientist of Pawpaws
- For the Love of Pawpaws: A Mini Manual for Growing and Caring for PawPaws – From Seed to Table
- Pawpaw: In Search of America’s Forgotten Fruit by Andrew Moore